Once a student completes the preparation at a bridge site, they will need to find an appropriate graduate program for their PhD studies. The APS Bridge Program (APS-BP) is developing a national network of Partnership Institutions, which are doctoral granting institutions where bridge and other students, if admitted, will receive proper mentoring and assistance in making the transition into a doctoral program. These institutions will have made a commitment to ensuring these conditions are established, to working with diverse students, and to supporting them as graduate scholars.
The next deadline to apply to become a Partnership Site is March 2, 2015.
Becoming a Partnership Institution
Becoming a Partnership Institution is free. All universities that grant a doctoral degree in physics are eligible to apply. Institution must also be an APS-BP Member Institution or are in the process of applying become a member institution.
Below are the specific benefits for joining as a Partnership Institution
- Access to APS-BP Bachelor student applicant database
- Access to APS-BP Master's student applicant database
- Recognition by the APS Committee on Minorities (COM) of the department's commitment to diversity in physics
- Recommendation of their graduate program to URM students in Bridge Programs and to others who contact APS to inquire about possible recommendations for departments that have supportive post baccalaureate educational environments
- Featured on APS and APS-BP website
- Access to individuals in the project management and at existing bridge sites who are knowledgeable about support strategies for URM students in graduate studies
- Strengthening Broader Impacts efforts within the department
- Limited travel support for accepted students to attend a professional meeting
Partnership Institutions will also receive all the benefits of being a Member Institution.
Apply to Become a Partnership Institution
A request for proposals for Partnership Institutions is available below. Institutions interested in becoming a Partnership Institution should complete the following application and upload their proposals as a PDF document.