APS Bridge Partnership Site
The APS Bridge Program (APS-BP) has been very encouraged by the large number of applications we receive each year for the program. Because we are unable to accommodate all students into bridge programs, we have been identifying other departments that are interested in recruiting students into their masters or doctoral programs. In addition, although many students who enter bridge programs ultimately matriculate into the doctoral program at that institution, there is a significant need to have available other institutions that are willing to attract bridge students to their doctoral programs. Since our first priority is to insure a supportive pairing between student and graduate program, we established Partnership Institutions to vet programs for students, and to help departments committed to the principles underlying the Bridge Program recruit students to their programs.
Partnership Institution applications are reviewed quarterly by the APS Committee on Minorities. Deadlines for applications are March 1, June 1, September 1, and December 1.
Becoming a Partnership Institution
Becoming a Partnership Institution is free. All universities that grant a master’s or doctoral degree in physics are eligible to apply. Institutions must also be an APS-BP Member Institution or are in the process of applying become a member institution.
Below are the specific benefits for joining as a Partnership Institution
- Early access (beginning spring 2016) to APS-BP Bachelor student applicant database
- Early access (beginning spring 2016) to APS-BP Master's student applicant database
- Recognition by the APS Committee on Minorities (COM) of the department's commitment to diversity in physics
- Recommendation of their graduate program to URM students in Bridge Programs and to others who contact APS to inquire about possible recommendations for departments that have supportive graduate educational environments
- Featured on APS and APS-BP websites
- Access to individuals in the project management and at existing bridge sites who are knowledgeable about support strategies for URM students in graduate studies
- Strengthening “Broader Impacts” efforts within the department
- Limited travel support for accepted students to attend a professional meeting
Partnership Institutions will also receive all the benefits of being a Member Institution.
Apply to Become a Partnership Institution
A request for proposals for Partnership Institutions is available below. Institutions interested in becoming a Partnership Institution should complete the following application and upload their proposals